[Tfug] OT : Site Scaper

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 23:52:20 MST 2009

--- On Tue, 5/19/09, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Or just continue as normal.  What has amused me about the copyright
> > debate in the past few years is that so many treat it like it is a new
> > phenomenon.  But I remember dubbing records and tapes or off the
> > radio, pirating games on Commodores and Ataris and Apples, and still
> > the game industry and music industry went on.  As will other
> > industries.
>
> and even earlier than that, after photography was invented there was
> a controversy over whether you owed someone for photographing their
> house.  And thus set the precedent for Google street view.  -jmz

Many street maps are alleged to contain deliberate errors to
detect simple copying/republication.

The problem with things like web pages is anyone can "go into
business" with a copy of your web page.  It is usually harder
to do this "making maps".  And, "peddling warez" or music often
means you have to declare yourself publicly (to get customers/sales)
which raises the spectre of getting caught (after the horse has
left the barn).

But, a web page/site from "KeithCo" is awful easy for "BobCo" to
rip off with impunity.  Finding BobCo is a chore -- since he can
move relatively easily to a new virtual address (which has
nothing to do with his physical address).  And, KeithCo has to
spend actual dollars to pursue BobCo.  Only to later discover
that BobCo has no real assets, etc.  (And, the "authorities"
have no interest in prosecuting "small fish")