[Tfug] OT : Site Scaper

Joe Roberts deepspace at dataswamp.net
Mon May 18 23:21:13 MST 2009

> And, by extension, don't ever PUBLISH any software because that
> *too* will be copied and stolen.  So, instead of entering a field
> where your work *can* be stolen, we should all engage in professions
> where the fruits of our labors can NOT be easily copied or stolen?

Or just continue as normal.  What has amused me about the copyright
debate in the past few years is that so many treat it like it is a new
phenomenon.  But I remember dubbing records and tapes or off the
radio, pirating games on Commodores and Ataris and Apples, and still
the game industry and music industry went on.  As will other
industries.

> I guess there will be lots of ditch-diggers in the future (ditches
> are very hard to "steal" or copy -- without expending the same
> effort that the original digger invested!) and very few "artists",
> programmers, photographers, etc., eh?  :<

I doubt anything will change.  As it hasn't since as long as I've been
alive and people have been copying things.

> I don't publish most of my IP as I don't want to have to spend money
> defending it (if you don't defend your "rights", the law treats
> them as "forfeit").  Instead, I share my IP with "select entities"
> where it is to my best advantage.  If that means others who could
> potentially benefit from *observing* it lose out... <shrug>

Well I suppose that's one way to handle it.