[Tfug] [OT] Voltage Spikes and Drops

Tyler Nienhouse flakeparadigm at gmail.com
Sat May 16 22:43:13 MST 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 22:29, Choprboy <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 16 May 2009 20:39, Tyler Nienhouse wrote:
> > Ever since I moved into my current house, I have had one big problem. I'm
> > not completely sure what it is, but my guess is that it has to do with
> > voltage spikes and drops.
> >
> > In the living room of this house, the electronics have a tough life.
> Almost
> > every time there is a change in electrical usage in the house (for
> example,
> > dish washer cycles changing), something messes up in the living room.
> [snip]
>
> STOP, stop right there! If you do not have a good handle on electrical
> systems, stop what ever you are doing and RUN FOR THE NEAREST
> ELECTRICIAN!!!
>
> What you are describing sounds like a faulty neutral connection. That is to
> say, the neutral bar is not correctly bonded to ground and back to the
> service transformer. This is an EXTREMELY dangerous condition, a surge
> protector will not protect you, your electronic devices will be destroyed
> in
> time, including computers/microwave/dishwasher/refrigerator/TVs/etc. Where
> the hell is that electrician, why haven't you called him yet???
>
> OK... some background. Standard household power in the US is provided (by
> the
> utility) from a central-tapped 240V transformer, located on a pole or in a
> ground cabinet near your house. The center tap is the "neutral" and is
> bonded
> to ground (typically) for safety and short-circuit clearing purposes. The
> two
> output legs of the transformer are 180deg opposite in phase, resulting in a
> 240V leg-to-leg voltage and 120V in leg-to-neutral voltage. The two legs
> and
> the neutral are brought to your house distribution as a 240V service. A lot
> of people call this a "two-phase" service or think of their panel as
> two-phase, though technically it is single phase service.
>
> So... what happens when you plug something in. When you turn on your 240V
> water heater, current flows from one leg of the transformer, thru one bus
> bar
> in your panel, and thru the resistive element in the water heater. The
> return
> current travels back to the other bus bar and eventually the other
> transformer leg. As this is an AC system, the direction of current changes
> 120 times per second, creating a 60 cycle or 60Hz system.
>
> When you plug in your TV or computer, something slightly different happens
> though... These appliances are 120V, so current travels from the
> transformer
> leg, to your device, and then back to the neutral bus in your panel. In an
> ideal world, you have an equal amount of power usage on the opposite
> transformer leg, so the current travels from the neutral bus, out to the
> [...]

Thanks for the help!
That sounds almost exactly as I suspected, having a faulty ground/neutral.
It's obviously not too serious of a case because the house is 15 years old
(I've been in it for two of those 15 years) and none of our electronics have
been completely ruined, but I'll definitely be having someone come and look
at it.

Many Thanks,
Tyler