[Tfug] USB drives

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Thu May 14 23:51:43 MST 2009

On 14 May 2009 at 22:29, Bexley Hall  wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a temporary need for a sizeable archive (to store
> snapshots of a large database during development).
> Seems like 3.5" drives max out around 500G - 750G.
> Anything bigger than that goes to 2.5" laptop drives (?).
>
> What sort of experience have folks had with these
> external "portable" USB drives?  Assuming I physically
> protect the drive (i.e., so it doesn't get bumped off
> the table!), have they been proven reliable?  Are
> there shortcomings on throughput imposed by the USB
> interface *or* increased rotational delays?

My kids both had problems with early WD "MyBook" drives, it turns out the
power-supplies were too puny.  Once my son removed the drive from the external
casing, it worked fine as an internal drive.  I think they've fixed this in
later versions.

FWIW I saw two deals today, both with free shipping:

External 1TB USB drive $90:
PC Connection - 1TB DriveStation Combo External Hard Drive - USB and FireWire
400 - $89.95 after $10 Mail-In Rebate
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9268100&SourceID=k1
83599

Internal 1TB drive $75:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD102UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152101&nm_mc=OTC-
pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Hard+Drives-_-SAMSUNG-_-22152101

You could get an external case from NewEgg or SWS for a few $$

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona