[Tfug] [OT] Shameless Give-away

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 18:04:10 MST 2009

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> >> Free to a good home - two Sun
> >> SPARCclassic CPUs, sans HD; one Sun
> keyboard/mouse. Both CPUs were working when last turned on
> (years
> >> ago).  Both were used for 10+ years and ran
> >> flawlessly.  More for the hobbyist or
> collector of old
> >> computer junk than for production, however.
> Might make
> >> nice web servers (which is what I used one of them
> for in
> >> its geriatric years).  I also have several
> batteryless
> >> APC units that will be junked unless someone wants
> them.
>
> > I've an LX that needs a new home, as well.
> > As with the Classics, the problem you'll find is
> > locating 50 pin SE SCSI drives  :-/
>
> I've found 50 pin -> 68/80 pin SCSI adapters that have
> worked for me in the past.

Yes, but it seems (at least with the older Sun kit)
that the drive also plays a role in how well this works.
E.g., totally passive adapters seem to require drives that
can be configured to disable WIDE negotiation.  I think
Quantum drives tend(ed?) to support this strap but most
others don't.  :<

<shrug>  Caveat Emptor.