[Tfug] RAID containers

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 15:10:43 MST 2009

> > Much to my chagrin, this didn't work out as intended!
> > The second ("other") server complained that they
> > were "foreign" containers and promptly began scrubbing.
>
> Probably the thinking is "The reason these disks are hooked
> to the new controller is that the old controller died.  Thus we
> can't be sure the data is in a consistent state".

<frown>  Wouldn't it be equally logical to assume "The reason
these disks are hooked to the new controller is that the ones
that were connected to the controller previously were much SMALLER?"

It really seems like this is just a bad case of someone
thinking they know more than the user.  I *might* condone that
if we were talking about PATA drives in a PC, etc.  But, one
would assume that a person babysitting a server with RAID5
wouldn't need *quite* that much hand-holding... :<

> > Of course, nothing was "lost" -- since I had just built
> > them from scratch.  But, it has me wondering why the
> > controller (low end Dell PERC 3>mumble>) would insist
> > on unilaterally doing this "for me"?!  I.e., I can't
> > see why it *must* do this so assume it is just a
> > piss-poor implementation?
>
> An override would definitely be nice.    It
> sounds to me like an idiotproofing gone wrong.

Agreed.  I think I will reconfigure the controllers to run
just as straight SCSI HBA's and skip all traces of RAID
support (since I haven't had any issues in a few years
and I *do* have everything backed up more than a few times)

> BTW, 3ware controllers don't do this, but they have crap
> support outside of Win/Linux/FreeBSD, unlike the LSI-based models
> such as the PERC.

I think LSI Logic only did the PERC 4mumble's.  The 3's are Adaptec.
I think I have a couple of 3ware controllers in my goody box but
I'm not sure I am motivated to go to the hassle of swapping
everything... :<