[Tfug] Misc. Programming Books for Sale (Shameless parts trafficking)

Shawn Nock nock at nocko.net
Wed May 13 20:33:55 MST 2009

Cleaning out the bookshelves... here's what's on the offer:

*As a courtesy to the other list members, please reply off-list*

Practical Common Lisp [Peter Seibel] - $25 [Hardcover]
   Refreshingly useful and brief for a Lisp tome. Probably the best,
unless you like system manual style books.

Professional Assembly Language [Richard Blum] - $20
   Interesting because it assumes that you are using gas on Linux, not
MASM on Windows like so many others.

Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment [W. Richard Stevens] -
$20 [Hardcover]
   An old textbook, useful if you really care about posix standards.
It has saved my butt a few times compiling for proprietary Unixes.

Cryptography in C and C++ [Michael Welschenbach] - $20
   On of the few practical manuals for implementing crypto...

The C++ Programming Language [Bjarne Stroustrup] - $20
   I bought this because K&R made the best C book, I figured
Stroustrup would make the best C++ one. Perhaps it is the best, but I
still don't like C++.

Advanced C Tips and Techniques [Paul and Gail Anderson] - $10
   Rather basic manual... it bridges the gap between learning C and
knowing C. If you've been programming C for a while you won't learn
much.

Foundations of Multithreaded, Parallel and Distributed Programming
[Gregory Andrews] - $20
   A textbook written by our very own Greg Andrews. They may still use
it in the CS department... Start textbook shopping for next semester
early!

The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System
[McKusick & Neville-Neil] - $40 [Hardcover]
   Have you ever said to yourself, "I need to know way too much about
the internals of a richly historied, but practically esoteric
operating system" ? If so then you should really own this book! Jokes
aside, this book taught me an awful lot about Memory and Process
Management. This is something like the 3rd edition of the "Devil Book"
and it covers FreeBSD 5.2 (which is near where Darwin jumped ship...
so could be useful to the hackintosher).

*As a courtesy to the other list members, please reply off-list*

Buy two or more and take $5 off the total. Pickup is from mid-town
(Speedway/Alvernon) or Campus. Cash on delivery or Paypal accepted.

Peace,
Shawn