[Tfug] RAID containers

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue May 12 14:52:01 MST 2009

> Much to my chagrin, this didn't work out as intended!
> The second ("other") server complained that they
> were "foreign" containers and promptly began scrubbing.

Probably the thinking is "The reason these disks are hooked to the new
controller is that the old controller died.  Thus we can't be sure the
data is in a consistent state".

> Of course, nothing was "lost" -- since I had just built
> them from scratch.  But, it has me wondering why the
> controller (low end Dell PERC 3>mumble>) would insist
> on unilaterally doing this "for me"?!  I.e., I can't
> see why it *must* do this so assume it is just a
> piss-poor implementation?

An override would definitely be nice.    It sounds to me like an
idiotproofing gone wrong.

BTW, 3ware controllers don't do this, but they have crap support
outside of Win/Linux/FreeBSD, unlike the LSI-based models such as the
PERC.

- Zack