[Tfug] RAID containers

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 09:10:26 MST 2009

Hi,

I thought I would get clever and use one server to build
RAID (5) containers to be used in an identical server.

Much to my chagrin, this didn't work out as intended!
The second ("other") server complained that they
were "foreign" containers and promptly began scrubbing.

<frown>

Of course, nothing was "lost" -- since I had just built
them from scratch.  But, it has me wondering why the
controller (low end Dell PERC 3>mumble>) would insist
on unilaterally doing this "for me"?!  I.e., I can't
see why it *must* do this so assume it is just a
piss-poor implementation?

I would have assumed, recognizing the containers as
foreign, that I would be *prompted* as to how to
handle them -- instead of having the decision made
*for* me!

So, is there some reason that containers (whether they
are simple *volumes*, striped arrays or RAID5) should
*not* be portable from one controller to another (identical)?