[Tfug] building new pc

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon May 11 07:08:04 MST 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Ray Reeves <arizray at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am thinking of building a new pc and using the 64bit version of ubuntu. I
> have initially selected the Intel model DG33bu mobo core2/duo and the intel
> dual-core E6300 processor. I would select a western digital 750gb sata drive
> perhaps.

If you need the entire thing (ie, you don't already have a case/power
supply/removable drives), your best bet is to look for a good deal
from a major brand (Dell, HP, etc.) and augment it with extra drives,
cards, etc.   The price difference between a new system and parts is
probably under $50 or so, plus you get a warranty, and the thing is
guaranteed to work out of the box.

Building PC's from scratch can be fun and educational, but frankly
with the incredibly thin margin on parts out there, it's not as much
of a cost savings as it could be.

This site has links to coupon codes for getting a discount with a few
online manufacturers: http://www.gotapex.com/

Oh, and pick a processor with hardware virtualization support - this
is increasingly important going forward.

- Zack