[Tfug] OT:Any Free Search Engines?

Marco Savo savomarco at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:50:17 MST 2009

Wikiquote of the day <http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Template:QoD>

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:

> Charles, your logic is flawed.
>
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 09:32:12PM -0400, Charles R. Kiss wrote:
> >
> > I googled "Beethoven 3 mp3 download" and other combinations including
> > other words like, "free, scherzo," etc. thinking that there would be many
> > many versions, all over the world, of one of Beethoven's most popular
> > compositions -and that I would be able to download legally for FREE.  I
> > imagined high schools, universities, and other entities would have
> > legally produced and uploaded their versions.
> >
> > However I found NONE.
> >
> > It occurred to me that maybe Google has already sold so much of its
> > "soul", and had already so many commitments, that the first 10,000 hits
> > were all, in some way, paying Google customers, or vice versa.  And that
> > now, much of the search space is saturated with Googloids, and doing a
> > real search for information on the internet using Google is hardly
> > "representational."
>
> Let's assign these assertions to predicates.
>
> A: A search engine delivers the results you are looking for.
> B: There are free+legally+download-able performances of Beethoven music.
>
> In your case, we could say: if A, then B. Let's not concern ourselves
> with whether this actually true.  We do know, however, that A -> B is
> not equivalent to B -> A.  That is to say, even if there are
> free+legally+download-able performances of Beethoven's music, that a
> search engine would necessarily return those links to you.
>
> Now let's make a third predicate:
>
> C: Google sucks
>
> Your next argument is essentially: If B and not A, then C.  Obviously,
> "not A" is in agreement with your observation.  But you have never
> established B.  In fact, B is what you are trying to demonstrate in the
> first place.  By making this assertion, you are guilty of a logical
> fallacy called "begging the question".
>
> HTH,
>
> - --
> RH
>

> il tuo ragionamento non fa una grinza → your argument is faultless

Some time ago I read somewhere about an open source search platform thet was
supported by google and used by yahoo, you can read the article here
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/09/google_and_hadoop/

from wikipedia you can take a list of open source search engine
Open source search engines

   - DataparkSearch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DataparkSearch>
   - Egothor <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egothor>
   - Gonzui <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzui>
   - Grub <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grub_%28search_engine%29>
   - Ht://dig <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ht-//dig>
   - Isearch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isearch>
   - Lucene <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucene>
   - Lemur Toolkit & Indri Search
Engine<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemur_Toolkit_%26_Indri_Search_Engine>
   - mnoGoSearch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MnoGoSearch>
   - Namazu <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namazu_%28search_engine%29>
   - Nutch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutch>
   - OpenFTS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFTS>
   - Sciencenet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciencenet> (for scientific
   knowledge, based on YaCy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YaCy> technology)
   - Sphinx <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_%28search_engine%29>
   - SWISH-E <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWISH-E>
   - Terrier Search Engine<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrier_Search_Engine>
   - Wikia Search <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikia_Search>
   - Xapian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xapian>
   - YaCy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YaCy>
   - Zettair <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zettair>

try wikia search but I read somewhere else they have some trouble

and then read this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/07/microsoft_search_built_on_open_source/maybe
you prefer a open source search engine from microsoft?

--
'The Magic Is In the Movement'

Marco Savo
SW Engineer