[Tfug] screenlets

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 26 01:08:58 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:01:27AM -0700, daniel galaska wrote:

>i seem to remember that one of the old beryl desktop effects was to make an
>osx-like layer that could house your screenlets.  then it was a matter of
>showing/hiding the screenlet layer (again, a la osx).  it has been a long
>time since i played with this, but i know that a lot of the 'desktop effects'
>that you find in ubuntu come straight from the old beryl application.
>anyway, not sure if this helps :).

I was just fiddling with the config of some of my screenlets (because a couple
of them forgot their settings?  Hmmm).  They all have an option titled "Treat
as Widget".  This will put the screenlet on the Widget layer.  On a modern WM
which supports such a feature, like Compiz, this should solve your problem.

Just make sure all your screenlets are treated as Widgets and they'll put
themselves in the proper layer.  Then via WM magic there should be a way to
show/hide that layer on command.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org