[Tfug] SheevaPlug Plug Computer

Marco Savo savomarco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:23:36 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Angus Scott-Fleming <angussf at geoapps.com>wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2009 at 13:25, Marco Savo  wrote:
>
> > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2356496718.html
> >
> > Looking how to make a NAS, this SheevaPlug Plug Computer the "NSLU2
> > killer", is sold for 100$, with an expected drop to 50$.
> > Does someone uses it? I was thinking to buy one and sell my mini-itx...
>
> D-Link's DNS-321 looks intriguing.  $30 rebate on it puts its price under
> $100
> from NewEgg.
>
> SourceForge.net: smartmontools » NAS
> http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/NAS
>
>    Like many such devices these NAS boxes are running Linux under the
> covers.
>    Further the Dlink firmware during its boot sequence checks the top level
>    directory of the first disk for an executable file called "funplug" and
> if
>    present executes it. This is a hackers delight allowing many additional
>    features to be added while maintaining the manufacturer's firmware. One
>    such hacker who goes by the name of "fonz" has almost a
> mini-distribution
>    leveraged off the standard Dlink firmware. See http://wiki.dns323.info/
>    for more information and http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/ to
> download
>    fonz's work. I use version 0.5 without problems.
>
> It has 64mb RAM and 16mb Flash storage in addition to the dual 3.5" SATA
> slots.

 64mb RAM and 16mb Flash? did you see this SheevaPlug? I just wondering if
someone has it, has the dimension and looks like a power supply; the next
generation of home server, I guess.

   - Marvell Kirkwood 6281 CPU at 1.2 GHz with 256 KB L2 cache
   - 512 MB RAM
   - 512 MB flash, enough for a basic Debian installation
   - Gigabit Ethernet and no proprietary microcode required
   - 1x USB and 1x SD
   - .mini-USB with serial console and JTAG

> --
> Angus Scott-Fleming
> GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona
> 1-520-290-5038