[Tfug] Authentication procedures

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 15:38:38 MST 2009

Hi, Charles,

> It 's a lot easier to make rules, know rules, or understand
> rules, than to write rules.  Rules only seem
> complicated when trying to write them: serializing a set of
> signifiers that corresponds to a set of serialized
> signifiers' signified, it's no different than writing any
> code, secret, Morse, computer, or otherwise.

Of course!  I just think that you can obfuscate things
enough to make them opaque to "persons who know you"
without going to a lot of trouble.

E.g., when I was setting up ssh on my hosts, I changed all of
the passwords to:
It was obscure enough that it was unlikely for anyone to
stumble upon this by accident (though, admittedly, very
transparent if you *do* discover a password!).  Yet, it was
really easy for me to *use* as I had the hostname of
the machine I was connecting to right in front of me, etc.

I think Joe User just has to be conditioned to *think*
about how he uses passwords, "security questions", etc.
Just like thinking about where you hide the spare key to
your house:  under the door mat?  under that prefab'ed
plastic piece of dog crap designed explicitly to hide a
spare house key?  on the top of the door jam?  etc.