[Tfug] Authentication procedures

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Mar 17 13:55:23 MST 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 11:47, Bexley Hall wrote:
[snip]
> And: that most "backup" authentication mechanisms
> rely on "personal knowledge" (that you have of yourself)
> that many people *also* have about you;
>
> What is a realistic scheme for handling "lost passwords"?
>
> E.g., I helped a friend recover a lost password for a
> gmail account.  The process was laughable!
>
> The standard "security questions" they ask can easily
> be forged by anyone who knows the individual well enough.
> E.g., "What's your birthday?"  (wow!  I'm sure NO ONE
> knows *that*!!)  "Who is your favorite artist?"

Well... depends on what you mean by "realistic". Users seem to think they
should be presented with a big button that says "Your password is:", but that
button should never appear to anyone else. Administrators have a different
view.

So... here's where I sit... First, I believe passwords should never
be "recoverable". Passwords should be "reset-able", but never allowed to be
reversed (i.e. one-way hashed, never store the original)... If you lose it,
tough, you'll have to pick a new password.

Second... how do you provide an authentication to reset the password? Well...
in a perfect world it would require 3 factor authentication in the presences
of the admin, with a 37b/2 form completed in triplicate and duly filed, just
scratch out where it says "Machine gun" and write in "password reset". That
would "encourage" proper memory retention... but I digress.  Unfortunately, I
believe the vast number of websites that use the "What is your birthday?" ilk
as a reset authentication have done a great disservice in teaching people to
use obvious/public information as passwords. What I tend to do when
confronted with such things is to use a password that is very obvious (to me)
and easy to use, but has no relation at all to the question answered.

So... for instance, if the question was "What is your birthday?" I might
answer "puppydog32"... The answer is not related in any way to the question
(or any of the other questions) and never used as your primary password
anywhere (i.e. you only use this for password resets), but is dead simple to
remember across multiple sites where you may need a "backdoor" to reset your
password. I can then use "puppydog32" as the answer to my "Mother's maiden
name?" on another site, and "What is your favorite song?" on a third.

Adrian