[Tfug] Contract vs Part-time work?

Brian Zaugg brian.zaugg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 07:29:58 MST 2009

Independent contractors usually receive a 1098 or 1099.
I used books from Nolo to help me understand the tax and legal issues when I
setup my company. Especially this book:
http://nolo.com/product.cfm/objectID/68464A84-FD9B-45A8-8F5A576D33A0DECA/111/159/#summary

As with anything, there are risks and rewards. In my experience, independent
contracting is preferable to part-time employment. You are on a different
footing with the company you are working for (company to company, instead of
employer to employee). The company should also prefer it, as there is much
less for them to do as far as tax withholdings and paperwork.
Your mileage may vary.

Also, just a note, as a company you pay estimated self-employment taxes
quarterly.

I'm not a lawyer, et cetera, et cetera.

-Brian
520-784-3972
brian.zaugg at gmail.com
http://www.bzaugg.com

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net>wrote:

> On Mon Mar 16, 2009 at 05:42:26PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> > So, I have an upcoming interview for some part-time work as a
> > software tester.  As I understand it, the company hasn't yet
> > decided whether the work will be listed as contract or
> > part-time.
>
> What is the definition of contract work? Is it the same as
> getting a 1099?
>
> --
> Glen

Brian Zaugg