[Tfug] Contract vs Part-time work?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 18:14:03 MST 2009

As far as I know a contract employee HAS to be able to work when and where they want.  If they set your hours then by Arizona law you are an employee.

The only other difference is how much you pay and how you pay your taxes.  If self employed you can deduct your expenses and you will pay 15.3% in self employment tax.  Self employment tax is social security and Medicare.  If you are self employed you will pay a combined 15.3%.  If you are employed you will pay approximately 7.5 % and your employer will match that amount.  If self employed you will need to pay your taxes quarterly while an employee get those taxes deducted every payday.

If you will be using your car for work or providing anything at all being self employed might be better.  However for your basic part-time job I would say being an employee is preferred.

Keith