[Tfug] Re-nice

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 11 14:53:05 MST 2009

As I think you have figured out, it comes down to personal preference.

You can think of all of the processes standing in a line.  All but one
can step back leaving the important one standing out.  Or just the
important one can take a step forward to stand out.

My opinion:

If the user has root:
   (And if they have to ask the question)

   They should just pick the one they want and reduce the nice value.
(thus, giving it higher priority)  Just be careful if you give it a
lower nice than the kernel threads.  Things might get *interesting*.

If the user does not have root:

   They have no choice, they can not set a negative nice value.  Thus,
they must make the less important processes stand back so the one they
are interested in can get scheduled at a higher priority.

Brian