[Tfug] Sun/ EMC/ Veritas consultant recommendation?

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:19:06 MST 2009

>> After 4.5 good years we had a disastrous crash last week.
>> We have an older Sun V480 with an EMC FC5700 array and
>> Veritas Volume Manager.  A component in the array failed.
>
> By "component" I assume you mean something that was not
> a *drive* and was not "redundant"?

I haven't touched any of EMC's storage products, but older FC arrays
aren't built with as many redundant features as recent ones - older
models often don't have redundant FC links,  or don't have
active/active controllers that can handle a controller failure.

Or, it could also be the case of nobody monitoring it, at which point
you'd only know after a double drive failure on RAID-5.

<insert standard reminder here that RAID isn't backup>

- Zack