[Tfug] WorldCare suggestions?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 18:19:54 MST 2009

Hi, Richard,

> >The building is located directly in DM's flight path
> >so there was fear of a plane coming down (not likely)
> >on the school.  The more practical reason is you
> >can't *hear* when those A10's creep overhead!!
> >(it's amazing that they can fly that slow!)
>
> There have been several aircraft problems from DM related
> aircraft over the years.
>
> (From http://www.tucsound.com/history.shtml)
>
>  1941: A four- engine bomber crashes into a house on Elida
> Street near North Country Club Road and East Pima Street.
>  1944: A B-24 takes the roof off a house on South Alvernon
> Way near East 36th Street. Two crew members are killed.
>  1956: An F-86 crashes near South Country Club Road and
> East 36th Street, narrowly missing an elementary school.
> Pilot is killed.
>  1959: A piece of debris from a passing jet falls and kills
> a bicyclist near South Alvernon Way and East 29th Street.
>  1959: A wing tank from a B-47 falls onto a house and
> explodes near South Alvernon Way and East 36th Street,
> killing one person.
>  DEC-1967: An F-4D Phantom crashes into a supermarket at
> South Alvernon Way and East 29th Street. Three women in the
> store are killed, and a teenage girl is killed in her house
> behind the store. Two houses on South Winstel Blvd are
> destroyed, a third is damaged.
>  1970: An Air National Guard F-100 crashes near Sunnyside
> Junior High School at South Sixth Ave and East Valencia
> Road, killing the pilot. The school has since closed.
>  OCT-1978: An A-7 crashes at North Highland Ave and East
> 6th Street, just missing the University of Arizona campus
> and Mansfeld Middle School. Two women are killed at the
> scene; five others are injured.
>
> I actually saw the 1978 A7 go low over the UA campus, the
> pilot parachute down, and the conflagration on Highland
> Avenue (the whole street was on fire).
>
> http://dm.greenbicycle.net/documents/Devastating_Impact.pdf

Wow, Cool!  Though 30 years since the last "incident" seems
to speak to improvements in people/equipment quality.

Air crashes are always newsworthy -- despite how few
deaths (statistically) result from them (e.g., you're
more likely to get struck while riding a bicycle, etc.)

Nevertheless, I think the gut "fear" of "all those children"
sitting in classrooms with aircraft flying overhead *daily*
probably biased the politicos to "do something".

Anyone know how often the aircraft carry live ordnance?
And, if there are restrictions on how/when they can carry
it?