[Tfug] Viewing the format and/or partition table of a CD/DVD

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:48:22 MST 2009

All,

A while ago, I got a great deal on a Sony XL1B2 200 disk CD/DVD
changer, and firewire interface for $100.   It arrived partially
smashed, but superglue rescued it and it's been working fine ever
since.   I had it on a mac, but there are no drivers for anything
newer than Mac OS X 10.4, and that version is old and crusty.

So I connected it up to my linux box (Centos 5.2), and after getting
firewire up by installing the Centos Plus kernel, I can manipulate the
changer, view what's in the slots, load disks in the internal drive,
etc.

The problem is sometimes when I try to mount a CD or DVD, it doesn't
recognize the format and won't mount it.  I've got a lot of old/weird
formatted discs like multisession burns, HFS and iso9660 on the same
disc, etc.

Is there any program out there that will take a look at the on-disc
format, and print out a partition table or the formatting details?
Fdisk and other hard disk centric tools don't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack