[Tfug] OT: Windows "Tracking Software"

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Wed Mar 4 09:21:26 MST 2009

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi, Andy,
>
>> If I suspected my PC had something like that then I would
>> get the free Process Explorer and examine all the processes.
>> Kill any I didn't want running.
>
> And what do you do if you aren't running as Administrator
> (i.e., because the machine is maintained/provided by your
> *employer*)?
>
>> Also I would investigate safe mode to see if that stopped
>> the tracking behaviour.
>
> But, you don't even know (yet) that "tracking" is taking
> place!  <grin>  I.e., that is the first part of my
> question:  "detect and defeat"
>
>> I would run msconfig and stop any services and processes
>> from running at startup that I didn't recognize.
>
> Again, that only works if you have root privileges.
>
>> Worst case I would reinstall windows.
>
> Your boss would undoubtedly have something to say if you
> had done this.  Also, many newer machines can be configured
> so that booting off a CD/DVD is disallowed.
>
> You're assumingthis is *your* machine and that someone has
> slipped something onto it surreptitiously.  What if it is
> *my* machine that *you* use 8 hours a day (on my behalf)?

Why didn't you tell us in the first place that no administrator access
is available? It's a waste of everyone's time to try and help you if you
don't give us all the requirements. I'm guessing you knew that no
administrator access was a requirement for your problem when you first
posted. Sigh... :(

Andy

--
Andy