[Tfug] [Fwd: Compatibility]

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:24:55 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Jon <bigj at voipmogul.com> wrote:

> Someone emailed the TFUG helpdesk mailbox inquiring about some help. I'll
> ask him to subscribe to the list but if anyone wishes to email and help him
> be my guest.
>
> --
> Jon
> www.VoIPmogul.com
>

> I have a linux 8.10 system.  My question:  I just purchased an Olympus
> WE-300M
> 256 digital voice recorder and the company I purchased it from cannot tell
> me if it
> is compatible with Linux.  I called Olympus help line and they cannot
> guarantee it is
> compatible.  It states on the product box it is compatible with Windows and
> Mac.
> I thought Mac was basically a Linux platform.  Can you help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I've used a different model Olympus.  It was 100% compatible with minor
caveats.

Once you plug it into the USB port, it becomes a standard flash drive - zero
problems there.  The file format was MP3 on this one, and that means you
need the usual set of Ubuntu multimedia codecs added on to the base
installation.  Once you do that, zero problems.

Point them to this page:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid

...to get them the normal MP3 support via the medibuntu repository as per
section 1.5 and the "restricted extras" as per section 2.4.

Jim