[Tfug] advice

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:08:39 MST 2009

 Craigslist is a crap shoot, emphasis on the crap.  Just because you
see a listing on there doesn't mean anything, its far from a warm job
lead.  Its more than likely some guy in Asia doing job market research
or some guy with a crazy idea who will work out a 'profit sharing'
deal with you.  Phoenix CL is now $25 per post, so that tends to
increase the quality of listings.  Craigslist should be viewed as an
outlet of absolute last resort.  Its best to find a quality agent who
represents you to prospective employers who can identify real
opportunities, negotiate proper compensation, and above all else
manage client expectations and relations.  I am not, however, seeing
this level of sophistication in AZ at all.  When you see a job ad 'no
recruiter' this means the employer hopes to take advantage of a
developer who doesn't understand his or her market value (red flag to
say the least).  If you take your career seriously Craigslist is not a
good idea.  The work is out there, its more about understanding how
the money is moving around.  Out here you're simply not dealing with
Silicon Valley VC structure so you have to adjust your outlooks and
temperament.

  -jmz