[Tfug] advice

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:20:50 MST 2009

  Best thing to do when you first land in a new development
environment is to ask for the names of the developers who worked on
the code base.  The stereotypical bad manager will have a long string
of spurned developers whose names are not mentioned as a matter of
rule.  The managers will universally deny that there are repercussions
to this behavior and insist that the code base is highly serviceable
(guess who is responsible for living up to these perceptions?).  If
you see this is the state of the place, chances are you will be the
next idiot.  As I mentioned in the other messages, lots of people
building their house out of straw... everything is ok until the Big
Bad Wolf comes around.

  And watch out for NDAs/NCAs.  They are a one way door- make sure you
know what you are walking into.

  -jmz