[Tfug] office2office format conversion script [was: Lightweight markup languages?]

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 23 16:27:44 MST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 04:59:40PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> Really, what I need is a (a) a Word viewer and (b) a solid X2Doc
> converter.  OOo serves those purposes reasonably well.

Today, I came across a Python script, PyODConverter, that uses
OpenOffice to convert between any (most?) OOo-supported file formats.
It seems to work fairly well, although it needs a lot of hand-holding.
So, I whipped up a Bash wrapper for it that makes it a bit more
user-friendly.  Both scripts are now available at
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rubinson/hacks/office2office/.

Please let me know if you find any bugs in the wrapper script.  But I
probably won't be diving into PyODConverter unless/until I need to
(though it looks fairly straightforward).

Enjoy!

Claude