[Tfug] Looking for a client for xmms2

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 20:04:08 MST 2009

--- On Mon, 6/22/09, bpoag at comcast.net <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:

[snip]

> 3) Gigantic, bloated, hambone,
> saw-open-the-side-of-their-house-and-remove-their-fat-ass-via-a-crane-onto-a-zoo-gourney
> players like Songbird and Amarok that no one should ever
> use. Ever.

[snip]

> It's 2009. I've got a 2 GHz dual quad-core
> workstation here at work with 12GB RAM, and I have yet to
> see Amarok play an MP3 without gapping/glitching the output.

But, is that because of the structure of the code (I've never
looked at the sources), the support provided by the OS (i.e.,
unless you're running on a RTOS, "there are no guarantees")
or just bugginess?   E.g., would a separate thread to handle
the sound I/O fix the problem (assuming the thread package
can efficiently schedule threads)?  Or, is there a fundamental
flaw in the way things (app., os) are designed, etc.?

> Sad thing is, people just get used to it. It's one of
> those forms of awful that users get accustomed to slowly,
> incrementally, until they become so comfortable in dealing
> with the program's idiosyncracies that they resist the
> idea of giving up all that hard-earned knowhow and use
> something that actually works the way it's supposed to.

You mean like an MP3 Player (appliance)?  :>