[Tfug] Router testing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 19:30:27 MST 2009

> Doing a site survey with only wifi tools may not inform you
> about other RF interference sources.  For example, I
> experienced a situation where a break room microwave was hosing
> wifi connections for people in nearby offices.  Only by
> experimenting and a lucky guess were we able to determine
> the cause of the problem.  I'm assuming there is
> equipment that will help you track down general sources of
> RF interference, but not sure what those might be.

Correct.  But, microwave ovens tend to be intermittent
usage.  A more probable culprit (if the interference
is prolonged) is an old 2.4G "portable phone".  (Note there
are lots of other things that can be using that band as well)

Of course, if the OP is experiencing these problems
and *knows* he isn't the cause of the interference, he's
largely SOL -- unless he can find the offending individual
and convince them to change their behaviour(s).

When I've had problems at home, I've relocated the wireless
router and done site surveys from each of the new locations
(just to get a feel for what is going on among my immediate
neighbors).  When I see three (clueless) neighbors all using
"ch 6", it tells me my first action is to move to 1 or 11.

It's also worth noting if you have problems at certain times
of the day.  E.g., in my case, some neighbors leave their
AP's on 24/7.  Others turn them on when they are home/needed.
Just watching the WiFi usage patterns helped me figure out
where my problem was coming from and an effective way around
it.

YMMV, of course.