[Tfug] code camp

Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com
Wed Jun 10 16:26:56 MST 2009

There are other tracks for Ruby and all...

I'm busily trying to get my laptop loaded up with software so I can make
the best of the day.

Respectfully,
Liz, Data Base Administrator,
Methods Engineering

Eric Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net>
Sent by: tfug-bounces at tfug.org
06/10/2009 04:18 PM
Please respond to
Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>

Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Tfug] code camp

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:42 PM, <Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com> wrote:

> So who's all going up to desert code camp in phx this Saturday?
>
> Respectfully,
> Liz, Data Base Administrator,
> Methods Engineering

I'm a network guy and Linux guy by trade, but I dabble in everything
including programming... do you think the talks will either be too far
over my head for me to get them or I'll be turned off because they're
too Microsoft centric?

Some of the stuff listed here looks interesting:
http://desertcodecamp.com/

...but a lot of it feels like the thing was sponsored by Microsoft.
For example, lots of .NET talks, lots of Windows Azure talks, "New
Spatial Features in SQL Server 2008," "Dynamic BizTalk EDI Batching,"
"Debugging with Visual Studio" - all very Microsoft centric. Where are
the Java/Eclipse talks? Where are the Amazon EC2 talks, with Xen
thrown in?

Don't get me wrong I don't hate Microsoft, I'm just very platform
agnostic, and it bugs me a bit that they present this as 'community
presented'

>From the previously mentioned page:
"Code Camps are about the developer community at large. They are meant
to be a place for developers to come and learn from their peers.
Topics are always based on community interest and never determined by
anyone other than the community. "

Maybe I should show up with a BSD or penguin t-shirt on :)

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options:

This email (and all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or proprietary information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply