[Tfug] Lightweight markup languages?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 10 15:37:23 MST 2009

Does anybody have any recommendations for lightweight markup
languages?  I'm specifically looking at converting to ODF/DOC.  I've
started using Pandoc and it seems fine, but am just wondering if
anybody has anything else that they'd recommend?

The use-case is the production of relatively simple documents that I
need to exchange with academic colleagues who are using MS Word.  I
want to be able to write my stuff in Emacs, convert it, and send it to
them.  The ideal situation would be if I could take whatever they send
back to me and convert it into something Emacs-readable, but I think
there's too much risk of losing Word-specific formatting.  So, I'm
stuck with OOo on that end (though, if anybody has any thoughts here,
I'd love to hear them).

For more complex pieces, I write in LaTeX and do a LaTeX -> HTML ->
OOo -> DOC conversion.  A bit hairy but seems to work.  (ht4tex
provides a LaTeX -> ODF script but it no longer works, which is a
shame.)

Thanks,

Claude