[Tfug] WRT54G (et al.) hacking

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 22:25:20 MST 2009

Hi,

Is anyone *intimately* familiar with the hardware on
these beasts?  My understanding is that they appear
(to the software) as three network interfaces:
- the WLAN interface
- the wireless interface
- the "switch" interface

The latter is where I am looking for details.
Specifically, is this *just* a switch glued onto
a regular network interface (i.e., the third
interface on the CPU looks like a "regular"
interface FEEDING a 5 port switch)?  Or, is
there some extra magic involved?

Ideally, I would like to treat (in software)
the four external "ports" (discounting the WLAN)
as SEPARATE interfaces (i.e., disable the "switch"
functionality)

I'll dig through the sources to see if there is
any mention of the actual role this "third port"
plays...

Thanks!
--don