[Tfug] Mount and Filesize Issues

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Tue Jun 2 06:31:36 MST 2009

Hello Tucson,

Apparently, in /var/log my kern.log is about 3.4GB, a file called messages
is 3.4GB, and sys.log.1 is 3.4GB.

I tried a lot of e2fsck -y -f -b with different blocks to get an old
backup drive to mount with no luck, so I imagine the files contents are
all related to these exercises.

How do I modify the files contents to reduce their size, or do I just
eliminate their contents completely?  cat /dev/null /var/log/sys.log etc.

How do I get that old drive to mount???

I moved my computer from one room to another and maybe I yanked out the
backup drive's USB while it was mounting or something.  I was also using
an old USB 2.0 hub that someone lent me, it worked the firsttime, maybe
it's unrelated.

I think my computer thinks the backup drive an ext2 because it won't read
a valid table under an ext3 mount, but I'm sure it started as an ext3.  I
made the mistake of e2fscking it with the -y -f options and I ended up
with alot of files and directories in the lost+found, but many are missing.

Also, my / partition is 100% full for some reason (var is on a separate
partition), so I'm working on that.   I guess I just found out that
/proc/kcore is 2.9GB; is that normal.

Anyway, some problems.

Thanks again!

--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If