[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 15:42:28 MST 2009

I do try. :)

Seriously. And yes, I mean seriously, a number of us would be well-suited to start to think of "free Unix" as something other than Linux, something other than mucking around with GNU tools. You know how economists always take forever to acknowledge the obvious, like that we're in a recession? Same thing applies here. We're in a post-Linux era, now. It simply no longer makes sense to declare a "movement", and then watch it fumble around without direction.

The Linux era ended when we had no answer for Vista's awkward silence. Vista face-planted on the stage, and the spotlight quickly moved over to Linux. And what did we have? Nothing. Two divergent projects that weren't ready for prime-time with near-zero high quality commercially-supported software to make the switch desirable enough.

Worse, people are beginning to realize that code developed under the open source model isn't immune to the same "shelf life" principles that closed-source code suffers from. I mean, think about it. All the code people wrote even 6 or 7 years ago when Linux was still more or less a quietly cool thing people did for fun....Practically none of it works anymore, at least without uprooting and fundamentally screwing your installation by interspersing it with old library versions, patches and hacks. It was all for naught.

Who wants to do that?

I have a hackintosh now. It's BSD, it's kernel is free, and it's fun.. It is, IMHO, what Unix should be, and what a constantly pissy/disagreeable herd of cats like the Linux community will never, by its very nature, ever be able to produce.

Cheers,
Bowie