[Tfug] Slightly OT: Cheap on-line backup

John Kiniston johnkiniston at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 15:10:54 MST 2009

I'm fairly sure my dreamhost account has a clause in its contract that the
space I have is for web use not for backup.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Matt Jacob <matt at mattjacob.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Jeff Breadner<jeff at breadner.ca> wrote:
> > I use DreamHost (dreamhost.com), so they provide web hosting, email
> > (which can optionally be mapped to GMail using your own domain, which
> > I recommend).  They provide unlimited disk usage and traffic in the
> > neighbourhood of 2TB/month I think, along with a real SSH account on a
> > Debian box.
>
> I'm surprised they're still pushing the "unlimited" plans. Or, I guess
> I'm surprised more people haven't taken them to task for promising
> something they can't deliver. Resources are not unlimited. Disk space
> is finite. Bandwidth might be "unlimited", but pushing
> hundreds/thousands of gigabytes across plans that people are paying
> $10/mo for isn't exactly profitable.
>
> I'm sure Dreamhost politely asks customers to leave once they start
> climbing towards the break-even point.
>
> Matt

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
---Heinlein
Sent from Tucson, AZ, United States