[Tfug] co-working projects Tucson

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 13:31:47 MST 2009

Hi Marco,

--- On Fri, 7/31/09, Marco Savo <savomarco at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm unemployed from almost a year now moving here from
> Dublin and going through the immigration process. I'm

Welcome to *this* side of the pond  :>

> trying to get up to date joining open source projects,
> playing with my mini-itx, arduino,RHCE, C++ etc. and
> studying English, but I found hard avoid procrastinating, I
> never worked by myself.

I've been self-employed for probably 20 years (?) now so
I can relate to this particular aspect of "time management".

You have to make a concious decision that you are "going to
work" ("going" as in "traveling") each day on *whatever*
schedule best suits you.  That "work" night include some
portion of the "workday" LOOKING for work and some other
part "working on your skillset(s)" (and even another part
working on "English" -- I am amazed by anyone that can learn
a new language "later in life".  That possibility has been
lost to me for far too long, now  :< ).

My problem tends to be making time for "non-work" things
(which are often more important than the "work" things)
but the point is the same.

I'm a night person (performing best in the evening/overnight)
so I try to arrange to do most of my "work" when most folks would
typically be coming home from a "9-to-5".  This leaves much of
the daylight hours to spend on "regular stuff" -- things that
require interaction with others (shopping, ordering parts, doctors,
etc.) or "daylight" (yard work, etc.).  Of course, since I
am not real "keen" on most of those things, I tend to
procrastinate *those*  :-(

Figure out what time of day is best for each of the activities
that *you* need to address in a particular day (there actually
IS a "right time" for each task -- but it varies from person
to person based on biology and sociology/environment) and then
*schedule* that task in that timeslot.  And, treat it as if there
was some external entity (employer, etc) that was expecting or
enforcing this decision.

Otherwise, you'll always find a reason to postpone what you
*need* to do until some other time.