[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"

Joe Roberts deepspace at dataswamp.net
Fri Jul 31 12:40:47 MST 2009

It strikes me that most of the world takes verbal abuse too far.
Verbal abuse is always about the eccentricities and quirks of the
person dishing it out.  It never motivates people - it either makes
them defensive or spiteful.  It's why so much debate on anything
(politics, tech, whatever) on the Internet never goes anywhere because
it becomes a stupid mud-flinging contest.

I keep waiting for people to get tired of it.   But just like they
won't stop playing certain songs on radio I don't think anyone ever
wants to hear again, likewise, the kind of strident bullying
dominates.

In the mind of people who communicate that way, they feel like they're
laying a smackdown on whoever they're addressing, like a verbal
submission hold.  Instead it just makes people walk away, or curl into
a ball.

I would have hoped by now people would be over it, but they're not.  I
suppose you could point out that Linux has succeeded, but I would
suggest it probably succeeded in spite of, not because of, that kind
of leadership (I make no comments about Torvalds's other virtues - he
may have many.  I don't hang out on LKML or have anything to do with
development so I don't have an opinion on the rest.)

Professionally, I rarely run into people who have the minerals to be
like this in real life.  It's amazing how polite loudmouths get when
they're in a direct line of sight of people's fists.

Not to pick on St. Linus or anything.  He's hardly the worst of the
lot.  But I have to ask if anything constructive came out of this
incident, because I don't think it did.