[Tfug] RH Linux virus software

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Thu Jul 30 11:53:15 MST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Nate<nate at torzo.com> wrote:
> Linux viruses or worms do exist, but their effect is usually mitigated
> or prevented simply by staying up to date.  Liz: just run "yum update"
> on a regular basis and you'll probably be fine.  If you really want, you
> can look into clamav ("yum install clamav" probably).
>
> BTW, to go along with anecdotal evidence, I have had a linux server
> rooted by a worm before that got in through wuftpd.  Oh wuftpd.. how I
> hate you.  Does redhat STILL use it by default, or have they finally got
> their heads out of their... posteriors?

Was the box you're referring to out of date or was is a fully patched
box that had gotten hit by a 0-day exploit?

If the box was not patched, that's not wuftpd's fault, that's your
fault... that's like saying "Apache sucks" because your box got rooted
because you hadn't applied patches....

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net