[Tfug] Linux db

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Jul 29 17:12:17 MST 2009

On Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 04:48:59PM -0700, Liz Ravenwood wrote:
> Ah - It's what is free or I already have install disks in my
> possssion. I also like the design grids that MS Access
> provides, so I wouldn't mind a similar environment.

MySql and PostgreSql are in the RedHat repositories and their
install and configuration will be many times easier than Oracle.

Not only that, but creating a database with Oracle is also more
complicated. And getting the GUI running requires a decent
configuration. There are GUI tools available for both MySql and
PostgreSql that are far easier to start using than the Oracle
tools.

Regarding your knowledge of MS Access. You will be able to use
the relational database theory that you learned. But I do not
think you will be able to use any any of the application
knowledge with any other database server available.

--
Glen