[Tfug] UML packages

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Mon Jul 27 17:27:21 MST 2009

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 04:17:56PM -0700, Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com wrote:
>> Is it worth it to learn how to use it for professional development?
>
> If, like me, you're not driven to learn new technologies then what you
> need to do is examine what your needs are--find out where you're
> repeating yourself, wasting time, not being as efficient as you could
> be--and then figure out ways to address that.

In my particular area of work the field is never standing still for
long. I like to learn new things, even if they have no direct, obvious
or immediate application because I will be aware of them when
encountering future problems, and they may help me solve that problem or
see it in a different way, a way that I wouldn't have known about.

I think that learning about new technologies or processes also helps a
person to continue to be marketable for future employers.

I've come across situations in the past where I started to look at
something new that I just decided to investigate and found an immediate
use for it in my work. If you don't look into something how will you
know that it could be useful?

I suspect that the members of this list have a wide range of jobs and
problems they solve. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all
approach. Some may have looked at UML and found it to be useless for
them. Others may have found it to have unlocked doors to problems.

Personally I have no experience with UML, except for creating UML-like
diagrams to describe databases.

Andy

--
Andy