[Tfug] Shameless Software Trafficking (Wildly OT)

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:03:44 MST 2009

OK, a couple of points.

Regarding DR-DOS: at first, yeah, MS did a warning message that was
safe to ignore.  Later they took to doing actual sabotage, killing
Windows startup if it saw DR-DOS underneath.  And I assure you, the
courts spanked them for that.

As to my case, the fact is I *am* running Windows on the computer
hardware that has a Windows license.  I've simply circumvented a
software booby-trap meant to stop me transferring Windows to another
machine - a booby-trap as you say likely not even aimed at me.  The
booby-trap in question is functionally identical to what was going on
back in the DR-DOS days, artificially killing Windows startup;
granted, MS's motive probably wasn't to block virtualization, rather
to prevent migration to another box - but that's not what I'm doing or
intend to do.  And I downgraded Windows one version while I was at it
because Vista is a steaming pile, esp. the early release.  If any of
that is piracy, fine, arrrrr!  Somebody find me an eyepatch.

Jim