[Tfug] Microsoft releases 20K LOC for Linux kernel

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Thu Jul 23 13:10:58 MST 2009

On Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 12:29:36PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> There really isn't much news here.  Microsoft's been releasing
> software under the GPL for at least a decade--certainly the
> entire time that they were attacking it as "cancerous,"
> "virus-like," etc.

What else has MS released under the GPL? I am aware of the MS-PL
and MS-RL licenses which have been certified by the OSI. But they
are not the "GPL" license.

And since I am not aware what else they have released under the
GPL, I also do not know this: Have any of the other releases been
on a similar scale? Both size and visibility.

If not, then I'd say this is news. Not only that but I think the
community response alone is newsworthy. And Linus's response is
interesting in that he seems to not feel that any more caution is
required than usual.

--
Glen