[Tfug] Need help finding a distro

erich erich1 at copper.net
Mon Jul 20 20:56:00 MST 2009

Yeah,
        I'm upgrading this machine I have, (It's in the workshop, and I
just turned it on so I could
refer to it). It currently has xorg-server-1.5.3-r6. "Were not in Kansas
anymore" There is
no xorg.conf file. We now use HAL *.fdi files or "device information
files" written in
xml. They say you should write one yourself, but *.fdi's are the
oriental mystery to me.
Fortunately HAL ships with a bunch of *.fdi files (under Gentoo, I don't
know what
other distros have). Getting the x-server to work was picking the right
*.fdi file shipped
with HAL, and putting it in the right place.

For me that file was called:
                                10-x11-input.fdi
it was in:
                                /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor
and I copied it to:
                                /etc/hal/fdi/policy/

My xorg-server then started to work.

        However,I'm not out of the woods yet. GLX doesn't work yet, and
I'm going to
need it to watch movies or play games. There may be a HAL *.fdi for that
purpose
I have to do more research.

Cheers,

Erich