[Tfug] Browser based UI's

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 17:48:08 MST 2009

I think there will always be a need for an app that runs off the local computer and might connect to a distant server or just stay local.

The browser based idea is a good one in that there is no deployment.  You just point your browser toward whatever you want to run.

The downside is it is difficult to create browser based application... at least that is my opinion.

I do not have much experience with flash and John says they "freeze up when loading on a moderately fast internet connection...".

I like the concept of Flex.  I have not built anything using Flex so I have no first hand experience, however with a standardized plug in, your code runs in a "known" environment.  It is my understanding it is relatively secure and maintaining state is the same as a desktop app.  No cross browser compatibility ... AJAX... CSS... configurations issues as far as I know.

I may try Flex it in the near future.

Keith Smith