[Tfug] OT: scanner repair

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 08:23:11 MST 2009

Hi Malcolm,

> I do quite a bit of photography the
> old fashioned way, i.e., with film. I have a flatbed

Wow, can you still *buy* film?  :>

> transparency scanner, (Acer 1240UT) that will do up to 4x5
> if it were working. The thing was only $130 when new and I'd
> gladly purchase a replacement if I could find one. Does
> anybody out there fix scanners or know where I could get it
> repaired? If so, contact me off list. Thanks, Malcolm

What's wrong with it?  Most probably something mechanical?

World Care gets scanners pretty regularly.  Often they
don't bother to test them because you almost always need
"special drivers" (their clientele are windows people)
and its a lot of work tracking them down.

Also, most of their scanners are legal size, flatbed -- takes
up a fair bit of desk space vs. your photo scanner (I use
a *B* size scanner -- 12x17 -- which takes up a BOATLOAD of
desk space!).

There are a few "in the back room" that I can plug in to see
if they light up, etc. but you'd be on your own for drivers,
etc.  I can also try to talk you through a repair of your
existing scanner but often little plastic gears grind themselves
up which makes this impractical (unless you have a spare machine
to steal parts off of)