[Tfug] Browser based UI's

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 10:45:51 MST 2009

  Flex is a viable solution for some situations.  GWT is still a bit
difficult in some areas, it requires knowledge of many things:
Javascript, Java, HTML, DOM, etc.  The concept of compiling Java into
Javascript sounds like it would be problematic, but Google has
accomplished this fairly well and maintains the concepts at a
fundamental level.  For some, keeping Flash out of the equation is a
requirement, in which case I believe GWT is the most powerful and cost
effective solution.  Also it is the most powerful open source
solution, especially if you are using server side Java as you can
leverage code between client and server.  No other AJAX library even
comes close to the manageability of GWT (a highly useful feature is
being able to run the debugger in the client code).  Secondly I would
expect Google to develop UI code that is cross compatible from GWT web
browser to Android (but you will probably get this from Flex/Flash as
well).

  I would say the key deficiency of Flex in this comparison is its
licensing.  Although $300 may be the cost at the outset, you lose a
lot of future possibilities by committing to a proprietary platform.

  -jmz