[Tfug] TMUG (was:Re: Saving UNIX from /dev/null)

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 07:00:11 MST 2009

> http://tmug.com/newsite/index.php

Just some info - I've been a TMUG member and their PR guy for a while,
and been going on and off since the 90's. It's a totally consumer
oriented GUI point and click group.

The age group skews fairly old, as does the Tucson Computer Society (TCS).

There is an advanced session before the general meeting that generally
degenerates into troubleshooting of problems.

> There's a tmug!?

(Wow, I'm really not doing my job... gotta start posting their meeting
announcements on this list...)

> "This user group is sponsored by O'reilly"
>
> What!? How do we get some of that action? Or are we, and I didn't know it. :-)

I believe O'Rielly does it for reviews - you get free books in
exchange for posting reviews on the site/in a forum/etc.  It's
basically a way for them to croudsource advertising.

> They have annual dues. They must talk about actual computer-related things there.

It's $30/year, mainly to rent the room and keep the website going, at
least as I understand things.

Some minor personal history - I jumped ship from Mac to Linux in '96
when I couldn't stand not having multitasking and it looked like Apple
was headed into the crapper.   Jumped back to Apple after OS X came
out and was usable, and as far as I know, I'm the only consulting ACSA
in town.

- Zack