[Tfug] WYSIWYG HTML editor for Windows?

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Tue Jul 14 05:37:46 MST 2009

On 13 Jul 2009 at 16:07, Claude Rubinson  wrote:

> I'm supposed to help a friend set up a (very, very simple) website.
> As far as I know, she only knows Windows.  Is there a simple WYSIWIG
> HTML editor that I can recommend?  (I'd prefer to recommend F/OSS, of
> course, though she probably doesn't care.)  I guess that she could
> just use MS Word, though that sends shivers down my spine.  My
> memories of this are from the 1990s, though, and perhaps out of date?

Since pages look different in different browsers on different OSes, how can you
have true WYSIWYG?

I use Arachnophilia, freeware; Current Version: 5.4, build 2377 (06/11/2009)

    http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.php

Not WYSIWYG, but it does have a preview capability if you're doing simple
pages.

For seeing what your pages look like in multiple browsers on multiple
platforms, see here:

    Check Browser Compatibility, Cross Platform Browser Test - Browsershots
    http://browsershots.org/

At a minimum you should check IE6, IE7, IE8, Firefox 3 and 3.5, and Safari 3
and 4; the latter two need to be checked on Windows XP, Mac OS X, and at least
one flavour of Linux IMHO.