[Tfug] Debian/FreeBSD dual boot

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Mon Jul 13 23:30:26 MST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM, <earljviolet at deserthowler.com> wrote:
> I am looking at the FreeBSD manual.  I can't find information about dual
> booting with Debian.  I have Debian installed and decided to check out
> FreeBSD.  I don't foresee any problem but was curious.

Looks like you can boot FreeBSD from GRUB pretty easily, because
FreeBSD is multiboot compliant. The hardest part is figuring out which
drive you installed FreeBSD to:

grub> root (hd0,a)
grub> kernel /boot/loader
grub> boot

(from http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_4.html#SEC18 )

When you install FreeBSD be careful to not let it install its own
bootloader though (and thus blow away your GRUB)... although I suppose
you could install GRUB in FreeBSD if that were to happen anyway

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net