[Tfug] ooops

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Jul 11 17:26:19 MST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 08:41:44PM +0000, Ray Reeves wrote:
>During the install of virtualbox the installer locked up. Now the system update, synaptic etc. gives me the following error message.
>
>E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
>E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
>I tried the sudo command above only to have the cursor go to ">" and stall.
>
>Synaptic does not work, I was going to try to repair broken packages.
>
>Ideas would be appreciated.

The cursor you see is the continuation cursor that the shell provides so that
you can type multiline statements (such as a for loop).  Most often, though,
people get it because they accidentally typed some mismatched quotes in their
command.

In this case, the command you should be running contains no quotes.  Did you
accidentally include one, perhaps while doing a copy-paste with the mouse?

Also, make sure neither synaptic nor another packaging tool is running when
you invoke the dpkg command.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org