[Tfug] One more Zoneminder/video question (camera resolution)

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:28:50 MST 2009

Folks,

First, I have ALL my issues with network access, apache security,
DynDNS and the like sorted out.  Cool.

Remaining issue relates to camera resolution:

I have two Hauppauge BT878 camera interface PCI cards with a total of
7 cameras on them. The cameras are Swann cheapos; according to the
specs on the box they're capable of 510x492 resolution (NTSC).

In Cheese I can use them at various resolutions (according to the
"preferences" setting), with the highest at 768x480, although I don't
believe it's actually running that resolution.  It's damned well
better than 320x240 (ZoneMinder's max so far!).  There's also a
384x286 mode (in cheese) that is still clearly more than the max so
far I can enter into Zoneminder of 320x240.  Even a bump to 384x286
would help.

Telling Zoneminder to drive the cameras at any resolution other than
320x240 results in a black screen.

I'm assuming that all seven screens need to be set for the same
resolution, and am testing it that way. Setting one screen per card
different from 320x240 breaks the rest on that card.

My guess is that Cheese is getting some unknown different resolution
from the cameras than anything I know about now.

Is there a command line statement in, say, Xawtv to try and get a
specific resolution out of the cameras? Something similar to:

xawtv /dev/video0 res-640x480

...or something?

Any idea why Zoneminder would be stuck hard at 320x240 when the
cameras are obviously more capable??

Finally, does anybody have a clue as to which IP WiFi cameras might
work well with Zoneminder?

Thanks!

Jim